Most companies give good access to sales and product training for their sales people and account managers. There is often a wide gap between the sales performance of the very best and mid-range performers.
The top sales performers at many organisations are often the same people from year-to-year. Organisations tend to be good at ‘putting their arms around’ top performers, rewarding and recognising their performance. In comparison the middle majority can be somewhat neglected. Organisations may also pay a lot of attention, usually too much, to under-performers.
- Many mid-range sales performers are comfortable. They are happy with their personal circumstances and performance levels. They’re not under-performing; they’re doing better than most. From their perspective why would they want to raise their game?
- Rather than throwing valuable development budgets at everyone, if clients make a targeted investment, often the best return will come from an approach that develops the “top end” of these mid-range performers who do want to improve
- Sales Mentoring is a targeted Morgan Clarke approach for realising the potential of that group
- Results are often extraordinary with participants on Sales Mentoring initiatives often raising their sales performance by an average of over 20% in the first year
Morgan Clarke’s Approach
What we do:
- Morgan Clarke designs the overall approach, project manages implementation of the assignment step-by-step, and based on our experience, we provide advice on how to proceed at each stage
- We run ‘analysis meetings’ to provide the psychological assessment of mid-performers, usually nominated in the first instance by the client. We explore who is ‘up for’ development. We highlight the type of motivation people have. We’re looking for a genuine motivation to achieve, and can provide accurate assessments of who is ready for this development
- We provide simple, cost effective education, training and support for senior managers showing them how to mentor the mid-range performers who are selected for the programme
- ‘Peer referencing’ events for all the mentees supplement the mentoring sessions bringing ideas, tips and additional motivation
What is Achieved
- A positive shift in the dynamics of sales achievement within their sales teams
- Building strength and depth in the high performer population
- Instilling the principles of a ‘learning organisation’
- Healthier competition amongst High Performers
- Up-skilling the senior manager population
- Clarity for the client about what activities and behaviours drive superior sales performance in their business
- Gaining much deeper insights into Achievement Motivation